Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What does a yellow light mean?

Thirty years ago on September 25, 1979, the sitcom TAXI aired it's episode entitled "Reverend Jim: A Space Odyssey." The highlight of that episode, and one of the funniest moments in sitcom history and all of American network television, was when the bum Reverend Jim Ignatowski (played by Christopher Lloyd), was taking his Driver's License test. He read the first question out loud, "What does a yellow light mean?" His fellow cabbies answer him with "slow down," only for him to reply with a slowed version of the same question... "What... does... a... yellow... light... mean?" and so on and so on. You can watch it @ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvn-tBeLpCk Hilarious! Pastor James, the brother of Jesus, reminded me today in my Quiet Time in James 1:19-20 (NASB): This you know, my beloved brethren but everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; for the anger of man does not achieve the righteousness of God. In the matter of speed, sometimes I need to act quickly and sometimes I need to SLOW DOWN! Lately, more than ever before, God is revealing to me that in many of my relationships I have been slow to listen and quick to speak and quick to anger. Thank You Holy Spirit for convicting me. I am choosing to surrender to Your leadership, Holy Spirit, as You mature my heart and make me more like Jesus.

How about you? Like me, have you been speeding too?

5 comments:

  1. Pastor Randy, thqanks for the message. FYI, Carrie and I were baptized 5-23 at Scottsdale Bible. A glorious day for both of us. I'm the slow learner-it only took 63 years to convince me! Our best to you, your lovely bride and all the kiddos. Enjoyed laughing with you at the Mission One show. I guess we stood out, but we GOT IT!
    Mike Petrone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the message. Luv Ya & miss ya lots. Thanks for keeping me on track even when I am in Texas. Hugs & Kisses to all.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too Funny, I too have been hearing this one from the Holy Spirit. Studio 3 has just finished a month on patience. On all levels, wife, mom, employee, I've been hearing this same message...convicting my heart and allowing me to wait on His Lead as I still walk in His direction. Just sayin!!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reminder Pastor Randy.
    Yes we all need to learn this, and I have been known to do some speeding in my days too.
    Thank you for sharing this truth to us.
    Jewelie

    ReplyDelete
  5. R -

    Thank you for leading by example and speaking those powerful words. Everyone of us get caught up in that trap. I appreciate your willingness to remind us all, that it's something that we need to be conscious of every single day.

    David G.

    ReplyDelete